Ackerman Avenue Assault

No public progress noted in investigation of Ackerman Avenue assault

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Three students were assaulted outside a house in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue last month.

Nearly one month after the assault of three Syracuse University students of color along Ackerman Avenue, it’s unclear what progress has been made by police investigating the incident.

A Syracuse Police Department spokesman did not provide any updates on the case to The Daily Orange after multiple emailed requests for information on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Feb. 9, three students of color were attacked outside a house in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue, according to students at the scene and subsequent police reports.

One of the assailants, a white man, allegedly yelled a racial slur before attacking one of the students, a black man.

Students criticized SPD’s and the SU Department of Public Safety’s response to the assault in social media posts and at a Feb. 18 campus safety forum. Accounts of what exactly happened during the assault have differed, and SPD previously said in a statement that the assault appeared to not be “motivated by race.”

SU officials, in a campus-wide email last month, said the assault involved “clearly racist language,” and pledged to work with SPD to facilitate a meeting with students and police about safety, along with several other initiatives.