ducks

Duck: Kennedy Rose

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Most of my time at this paper was spent in 744 Ostrom Ave., freezing in a newsroom as snow fluttered to the ground. The rest of it was spent covering dozens of protests, making no money, eating thousands of dollars worth of takeout, and making a paper with the greatest friends and colleagues I could have ever asked for.

Here’s a few thank you’s to some of the people who made all of this happen.

Justin: You were the first person who ever told me about The D.O., and for that I’m eternally grateful. Thank you for being a wonderful peer adviser and telling me to join this paper.

Sara Swann: Hi, lovey! Thank you for being my first mentor. And thanks for the chair. Future news editors are eternally grateful.

Alexa Diaz: I miss your constant cheeriness in house and you constantly saying no to my MAC pitches. Hearing it come from Sam isn’t as fun.

Alexa Torrens: Forever grateful that we had another Long Islander in the newsroom. I miss your energy (and when you’d keep news in line).

Satoshi and Delaney: Thank you for being the most understanding editors when I was the worst beat writer known to this paper. I am forever grateful for your patience and friendship.

Burke: Thanks for not hiring me the first time I applied. I needed that time to grow.

Mary: You have been by my side in virtually every news class since freshman year, and I am so happy to close out our senior year together. Screw writing -30-s when you can be a normal human being.
Sandhya: I really miss our late-night-post-production car rants. If you don’t think I’ll be seeing you next year — girl, you are WRONG. I’ll catch you for a shopping and tea date.

Jessi: I wish you would have stayed so my staff knew who I was talking about when I constantly mention you, but you are killing it on the west coast and I know I’ll see you soon. Love you bunches.

Colleen: We survived #significance together, through ranting and screaming and “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH”s. Here’s to many, many more years of trying to survive it all, girl.

Bananiel: To think I would have befriended the kid who wore capris to formal. Happy to have another business reporter at this paper and a pal who also doesn’t pay attention in COM law.

Pulp: You all make this house shine. Keep up the stunning work you’ve done.

Kevin: Please don’t send thumbs-up’s to anybody through our social channels again.

Amy: It is always a treat to have you in our newsroom. I can’t wait to see what you do with digital.

Sportz boiz (and Kaci): Stay loud, you nerds. I will never understand anything you cover, but I love y’all anyway.

Designers: The real MVPs of this here Daily Orange. Thank you for listening to my terrible ideas for page design, and properly shutting them down when they were really bad.

Kathryn Krawczyk: I’m really sorry for that one time I thought your last name was Krawsinski. Love you, love you, love you.

Molly: ABOLISH NEWSFRONT! So happy to hate on The Beatles with you every night in visuals.

Mackenzie: We love a queen! Gutted that I can’t talk musicals with you in #broadwaybops anymore.

Ally Moreo: Hi! Hi! Hi! I miss you so much! And I see you every week! I love you so much, sunshine.

Dan: You were an absolute delight to befriend this semester. Here’s to many more years of listening to indie rock of the feminist persuasion.

Kelsey: Cheers to being some of the only seniors left in this house! I’ve loved every minute spent here with you.

Dabbundo: That’ll be $399.95.

McCleary: Hey, the sink was left on. Can you turn it off? (It’s been a blast working with you this semester. Save H2O.)

KJ: My favorite honorary news writer. Thanks for taking news and sports to the next level this semester, and for bringing sports fashion out of the damn dumpster.

Haley: You are so ready to take over this paper. You are the most prepared person I have ever met in my life, and I was flattered when you asked me how I do this job and keep everything together. The answer: you don’t, but you try your best. But you’ll do your best and get it all done. How? Because you’re Haley Motherf*cking Robertson.

Maeve: God, I am so happy to have another loud, brash b*tch in house, and even happier to be friends with her for the next forever.

Ali Harford: Hi pal! I miss your chaotic energy in this house. Remind me to bake a lemon meringue pie made of pink lemons for you.

India: You’re like a unicorn: rare and wonderful with a rainbow mane. The work you’ve done this year has been excellent, and I thank you for covering all the stories I know you didn’t want to do.

Gabe: My favorite assistant news editor. I can’t wait to see the projects you take on, but please stop flexing on people by doing so much unnecessary work. Work smart, not hard. Love your goofy a**.

Emma: You’ve got guts, kid. They’ll take you far. Keep chasing those unbelievably tough stories. And keep being the best-dressed person in house. Seriously, I do not know how you do it, but keep doing it.

Nat: I am so, so, so glad you came to us ready to go. You are the most driven person, and you deserve everything you’ve worked for and more. I know this job doesn’t pay much, but it pays off in the long run.

Adam: My experience here cannot be separated from you. You have covered stories for me, chased after fire trucks with me and applied (twice!) to be a designer. You are my biggest supporter and my best friend, even when it got tough. I love you. Thank you.

Talia: From the day I met you, I knew you’d be presentation director. And now you’re here! You have the greatest things to offer this world, so don’t get shouted down. Come over soon — we can make brownies together.

Bridget Slomian: My favorite mossy bog witch. My chicken grandma with the most special place in my heart. My shotgunning-and-throwing-the-half-drank-can-into-the-street partner. You are one of the greatest friends, and there is nobody else who I would have wanted to cackle with at ungodly hours working here. You are wildly talented, employable as hell, and the only person in this house who would evenly match me in a fight. Love you forever.

Aishwarya: Anybody who mistakes you for being soft and pliable is dead wrong. Aishwarya, you are the strongest person and you are not afraid to stand up for yourself — or against terrible mini MACs I write. You are capable of the most amazing things, and I cannot be happier about being led by one of the best people this paper has been blessed to have. You are a delight to work with and an excellent friend. Love you oodles.

Casey: Watching you grow has made me feel like such a proud parent, minus the painful childbirth and financial burden. You’re going to do a great job. Remember that nobody can do this job on their own, and that you have a whole bunch of people here to help you. F*ck yo peas. I quit.

Leffert: It broke my heart when I found out that I wouldn’t see you before I left here. But I knew I would see you again, so it’s okay. We have been through some sh*t together, and I would do it all over again because you were with me. You are so smart, funny and bold, and I love you like a sister. Love you. You’ll lead this paper like a champion.

Jordan: You were the first person I ever wanted to square up with at this paper. I wanted to punt your *ss into the sky like a small football. And now you’re like my younger brother who I begrudgingly admit is taller than me. Jordan, you have a huge heart and endless talent. I am unbelievably happy to have started and ended my career at this paper by your side. We balance each other out well, and it’ll be very strange not having anybody in the newsroom to share my crappy Star Wars memes with. You’re a star. Treat yourself like one.

Sam: You are the most driven person I have ever met, and I owe my whole career to you. You’re an amazing leader, a better friend, and the best editor I will ever have. Spending the last two years has been nothing but an absolute pleasure and delight. I can never forgive you for feeding I.C.E. to plant, though. Thank you for letting me fight you on everything — and for deleting every em dash I’ve put into stories. Love you, bro.