Beyond the Hill

Leslie Lisk uses every inch of Syracuse’s skinniest building

Malcolm Taylor | Contributing Photographer

For Leslie Lisk, the new bake house on Salina Street is a challenge. Using “Jenga” techniques, she fits everything she needs into the tiny space.

Syracuse locals and diners at Francesca’s Cucina for the past few months may have noticed a new sign next door on Syracuse’s skinniest building. In 2023, the owners of Francesca’s purchased the famously tiny establishment and converted it into a bake house for their chef, Leslie Lisk.

Before the bake house, Lisk worked in the basement of Francesca’s alongside the rest of the cooks. Competing for space and equipment created inefficiency, and the small bake house, ironically, gives her more room, Lisk said.

Less than three months into the transition to the new space, Lisk is still working on being more efficient. She deals with “speed bumps” like needing new tires to push a rack through the snow outside to the restaurant.

The bake house is 13.9 feet across externally, and only 11 feet wide inside. In the past, the building housed Michael’s Genuine Fresh Italian Products, a pasta house, but was most recently a photography studio.

While Lisk works, she usually blasts music or podcasts so the bake house isn’t silent. During the day, passersby often pound on the windows and say hello.

“I get people all the time looking at me,” Lisk said. “I never had people staring at me before (in the basement), but now people look at me all day.”

Lisk is used to the basement, so the bake house is a whole new adventure. Lisk said she has been using “Jenga” techniques to fit all of her equipment and food in the small space.

Lisk has been the baking chef at Francesca’s for eight years, and before that worked at Joey’s – another restaurant in downtown Syracuse. Her schedule varies day to day based on the demands of each specific night for the restaurant.

The foods she spends most of her time preparing are creme brulees, cheesecakes, butter cakes and focaccia bread (pictured above). Lisk said when she is working on one item, as she is in this photo, the space doesn’t look exceptionally small, but that it becomes a challenge when multitasking.

Francesca’s often caters events in the Syracuse area. Some days, Lisk has to come in early to make baked goods for catered events as well as food for the restaurant’s daily operations.

Lisk loves being able to do things on her own schedule. Although she misses the lighting in the basement because, as she joked, she “never had seasonal depression” before, she appreciates her new space.

“When you’re baking for a restaurant it’s not just doing three or four things at once, it’s 10 or twelve,” Lisk said. “I use every last inch of this place.”